Where once the cows were grazing…
Pertisau is the birthplace of golf in Northern Tirol.
Dr. Leopolt Pasquali was the golf pioneer at Lake Achensee and thus also in Tirol. In 1930, he was watching the Archbishop of Canterbury how he hit a ball in front of him on the pastures. The guest was willing to provide information about the strange game and Pasquali sensed an opportunity for tourism and hotel businesses in the area. The construction of the golf course was delayed for several months and in the autumn of 1930 the construction could finally begin.
1931 construction continued and in 1932 the golf course could finally be opened.
On May 4, 1934 a total of 14 founding members founded the Golf & Country Club Achensee and committed themselves to paying a lifelong annual fee of 5 shillings (!). The course was opened on June 18, 1934. The first president was Dr. Leopold Pasquali.
Six fairways went over pastures which resulted in continuous problems with the farmers. In 1937 the ÖGV carried out an inspection to see if the course met the requirements. But even the President of the ÖGV did not succeed in convincing the farmers to move the cow pastures, even though the President of the ÖGV, who arrived in person, was Heinrich von Kuh.
World War II temporarily ended the Golf & Country Club Achensee.
After the war the course was re-opened quite quickly.
In 1969 Alfred A. Hartmann became president after Dr. Leopold Pasquali.
The legendary Pasquali died in 1973. He has served the golf club for 25 years.
In the 1980s under Hartmann new fairways and a new driving range were constructed.
In 1989 Hartmann resigned and Ing. Franz Müller became president.
After four years of negotiations with about 40 authorities and stakeholders, as well as 28 eligible users of the pastures, the construction of 9 holes with 18 greens and 36 tees could begin. This concept was designed by the architects Bechler and Feldmeier. With two greens per fairway the Achensee Golf & Country Club was not only the first in Austria, but also the second in Europe and sixth worldwide.
The golf course could be opened for a belated 60-year anniversary.
But Pertisau wanted more. In 2004 the golf club succeeded in extending the course to 18 holes.
In 2007, the new clubhouse was opened with all necessary facilities such as changing rooms, showers, locker room, garage, reception and secretarial services, pro shop and restaurant with all the necessary equipment.
In order to complete the entire 18-hole golf course, it was necessary to build a Halfway house with toilets, shelter, vending machine, and a possibility of hosting. It was completed in 2008.
During the Golf Revue Awards 2010 the Achensee Golf & Country Club was elected the best golf club in Austria; and in 2011 and 2012 the third best.
The Achensee Golf & Country Club has been awarded membership in the selected group of Leading Golf Courses. Mag. Martin Tschoner and his team have been elected as the new Board of the GC Achensee. After 24 years of presidency Ing. Franz Müller is awarded the title of Honorary President.
A noteworthy fact is that in its nearly 80-year history, the oldest golf club in Tirol has only had four voluntary presidents and three financial supervisors.